Mini Steam Power Plant
Description of Mini Steam Power Plant
Mini Steam Power Plant is a small low cost miniature power plant designed for educational purpose. A hand feed pump supplies water form a feed tank to a small gas fired boiler. Steam is throttled to a single cylinder, double acting reciprocating engine. A small DC generator is connected to the engine by a belt and an electrical load is applied using small light bulbs. Exhaust from the steam engine is condensed in a water cooled condenser. Condensate is collected and returned to a feed water tank. Instruments are provided for monitoring and controlling the plant operation and performance as well as for safety.
Experiments of Mini Steam Power Plant
- Fuel consumption
- Efficiencies for boiler, engine, and overall plant.
- Condenser heat transfer coefficient.
- Heat balance and energy utilization
Technical Data of Mini Steam Power Plant
- Type : Fire tube vertical boiler.
- Capacity : Upto 5 kg,/hr steam at 5 kg/cm2.
- Boiler accessories : Safety valve, level gauge.
- Fuel : Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Feed water tank : Stainless steel with level gauge.
- Feed pump : Hand operated.
- Type : Single cylinder, double acting.
- Maximum power : Mechanical, over 5.0 w.
- Electrical, over 1.5 w.
- Power output measurement : Mechanical brake dynamometer.
- Electrical power system : DC generator with lamp load.
- Condenser : Shell and tube type.
- Pressure gauge : Boiler steam outlet.
- Temperatures : 7 ea.
- Flow meters : 2 ea.
- Engine speed : Digital display.
- Spring balance and weights for dynamometer torque.
- Graduated cylinder, and stop watch for condensate measurement.
- Voltage and current digital display.
- Accessory : Boiler cleaning kits.
- Power supply : 220V 1Ph 50Hz. Other power supply is available on request.