- A base unit supports a gimbal frame, holding a gyroscope assembly that spins and precesses under a clear dome.
- The rotor of an electric motor shares a horizontally supported shaft with a flywheel, forming the gyroscope. A second electric motor turns a belt that turns a turntable under the gyroscope, causing precession about a vertical axis. Both motors work in clockwise and anticlockwise rotation and with variable velocity. Sensors measure the rotational velocity of the rotor and precession.
- A sensor measures the gyroscopeâs up or down tilting force at a known distance from the gyroscope pivot. This allows calculation of the torque or âgyroscopic coupleâ.
- Direction of Gyroscopic Couple (in relation to precession and rotor spin directions).
- Magnitude of Gyroscopic Couple (in relation to precession and rotor spin velocities).
Technical Operating Conditions
- Operating environment: Laboratory environment
- Storage temperature range: â25°C to +55°C (when packed for transport)
- Operating temperature range: +5°C to +40°C
- Operating relative humidity range: 80% at temperatures < 31°C decreasing linearly to 50% at 40°C