Description of Equilibrium of Parallel Forces
A Equilibrium of Parallel Forces board is clamped into the Universal Frame and Stand Two acrylic models engraved to simulate a 'Warren' and an 'N' truss are used for the application of vertical loads and reactions. The Equilibrium of Parallel Forces are produced with cords tensioned by weights on hangers, double pulleys being used to turn the upward forces downward.
A circular disc with twelve attachment points is used for the couples. To simplify the results each acrylic model has a counterbalancing weight to render each one 'weightless'. The lines of action of the cords can be transferred onto a sheet of paper clipped to the force board. The set of weights needed for the experiment is included.
Experimental Capabilities of Equilibrium of Parallel Forces
- Verify the conditions of equilibrium when sets of parallel forces act in one plane on a rigid body
- â Fv = 0 (where F = forces and V = vertical)
- Special case where equal and opposite parallel forces produce a couple acting on a body
- Equilibrium of opposing couples
- Experimental verification of the use of a link polygon and is a test of âM = 0 (where M = moments)
Specification of Equilibrium of Parallel Forces
- Two acrylic models shaped and engraved to simulate a 'Warren' and an 'N' truss are used for the application of vertical loads and reactions
- A circular disc of Perspex provided to offer 12 peripheral attachment points for applying opposing couple.
- The forces produced by nylon cords tensioned by weights on hangers, pulleys being used to turn the cords vertically downward
- The lines of force to be transferred onto paper sheet clipped to the force board
- Each Perspex model has a counterbalancing weight to render each one 'weightless'
- Must be used with universal Frame and Stand
- Comprehensive instruction manual provided