- The Radial Heat Conduction accessories have been designed todemonstrate the application of the Fourier rate equation to simple steady-stateconduction radially through the wall of a tube.
The arrangement, using a solid metal disk with temperature measurementsat different radii and heat flow radially outward from the centre to theperiphery, enables the temperature distribution and flow of heat by radialconduction to be investigated.
The heater power and the cooling water flow rate are controlled via,either from the front panel or from the computer software. These are controlledmanually.
The accessory comprises a soliddisk of material, which is heated at the centre and cooled at the periphery tocreate a radial temperature difference with corresponding radial flow of heatby conduction.
Six K-type thermocouples arepositioned at different radii in the heated disk to indicate the temperaturegradient from the central heated core to the periphery of the disk.
The radial distance between eachthermocouple in the disk is 10mm.
Quick-release connectionsfacilitate rapid connection of the cooling tube to a cold water supply. Apressure regulator is incorporated to minimise the effect of fluctuations inthe supply pressure.
A control valve permits the flowof cooling water to be varied, if required, over the operating range of 0-1.5l/min.
The cooling water flow rate ismeasured by a turbine type flow sensor .
An optional cooling water flowrate sensor “Set 2” is available upon request for the connecting directly intothe service unit.
- A small-scale accessory to introduce students to the principles oflinear heat conduction, and to enable the conductivity of various solidconductors and insulators to be measured
- Comprises a heating section, a cooling section, plus four intermediatesection conductor samples and two insulator samples
- The heating section, cooling section and one of the intermediatesections are fitted with thermocouples (eight in total) evenly spread along thelength of the assembled conduction path
- All sections are thermally insulated to minimise errors due to heatloss
- Includes a water pressure regulator and a manual flow control valve
- Computer-controlled unit includes an electronic proportioning solenoidvalve to control the cooling water flow rate and a water flow meter
- Heater power variable up to 60W
- Water flow rate variable up to 1.5 l/min
- Heating and cooling sections, 25mm diameter
- A comprehensive instruction manual is include