Specification of Automotive Diesel Engine
- A 4-cylinder, water cooled, Biodiesel compatible, 1.9 litre Volkswagen diesel engine, complete with services and ancillaries required to run the engine in a laboratory environment
- Variable load eddy current dynamo meter, which acts as a brake, enabling direct measurement of engine torque.
- Supported on strong steel framework via flexible mounts. The frame also houses the fuel tank, battery and electrical enclosures.
- Protected by guards around the moving parts. Safety interlocks and emergency stops are provided.
- Supplied with the engine manufacturer's diagnostic software.
- Starter, throttle and dynamo meter can be controlled from a computer .
- Standard instrumentation includes sensors for:
- Engine speed
- Air flow
- Cooling water temperature (inlet and outlet of heat exchanger)
- Cooling water flow
Features of Automotive Diesel Engine
- 4-cylinder Biodiesel Compatible automotive engine .
- Eddy current dynamo meter to vary engine load.
- Plotting of characteristic torque and power curves against engine speed.
- Full software control of system, including load and throttle settings.
- Closed loop software control of brake loading to maintain constant engine speed during measurements.
- Secondary water cooling by heat exchanger, with measurement of temperature change and flow rate.
- Engine manufacturer's diagnostic software displays fuel injection characteristics.
- Remote emergency stop, and facility for safety interlocks.
- Optional measurement of cylinder pressure, and displaying this on a p-v diagram.
Description of Automotive Diesel Engine
An eddy current dynamo meter provides a variable load on the engine, enabling the characteristic power an d torque curves to be reproduced in the laboratory. The system comes complete with extensive instrumentation, including rpm measurement, torque (from which power can be calculated), plus various temperatures, pressures and flows .
The whole system is designed to be linked to a computer using the software provided. This provides real time monitoring of the various sensors, with a wide range of data logging and graphical display options. The dynamo meter and throttle can both be controlled electronically from the software, which makes installation into a closed test cell very straightforward, and enables for remote computer operation.
Technical Data of Automotive Diesel Engine
Dynamo meter Data
|Dynamo meter Type ||Eddy Current |
|Cooling ||Air cooled |
|Max Power ||55 kW for 20 minutes |